Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Meeting the Background Slytherin

Harry Potter Month is hosted by Faith at Geeky Zoo Girl and Micheline at Lunar Rainbows Reviews. This fun event runs throughout the month of July. Find out more about it here.

I've been a little slow getting into HP Month this year, in part because this is the first time that I'm working during the Summer. Nevertheless, I'm not planning on letting the Harry Potter spirit pass me by! It's July and I'm going to celebrate! 

Have you ever heard of My Life as a Background Slytherin? If not, I am going to introduce you to it. It is a fanmade comic strip by Emily McGovern which is updated once a week. You can find it on Facebook or on her website by googling the title.

I'll be honest, I did not like it at first. A fellow Slytherin had told me about it and I looked it up and I was not amused. Later, the same Slytherin was talking about it animatedly and I decided to give it another shot. I went to the beginning of the comics and started reading them in order. This gave me an understanding of the characters and the basic ongoing jokes. Now I am in love with it. And it's not just for Slytherins! There are also a couple of My Life as a Background Hufflepuff/Gyffindor/Ravenclaw comics.

Maybe not every HP fan will like the comics, but they certainly grew on me. My Life as a Background Slytherin is another example of fan creation which catches the imagination of the fans just like A Very Potter Musical or Harry Potter Puppet Pals. Once a fan, you can run around saying things like FLOUNCE! or Badges! and your fellow background Slytherins will laugh with you.

Does anyone else read My Life as a Background Slytherin? Is there another HP fan creation that you love?

10 comments:

  1. I knew about My Life as a Background Slytherin, but I hadn't heard that there were similar comic strips for the other houses. I'm going to check out Ravenclaw's. Thank you for the recommend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of these before, but I'll have to check them out! I'm glad to hear that the Slytherin comics grew on you and that giving them another try worked out well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm part of the Hogwarts Running Club, and of course part of the Slytherin House for that, on Facebook, and so people are always sharing the Background Slytherin comic strips on the page. Like you I didn't like them that much at first, but it's been growing on me a bit more. The one where Emily dresses as Voldemort for Halloween and gets told off for being inappropriate but doesn't understand why dressing up as a ghost would be scary made me laugh a lot. I also especially liked the one with the Hufflepuff support group, and the way she throws in Draco's obsession with Harry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great ones! I also like the one where Emily is wondering what Slytherin's monster could possibly be!

      Delete
  4. Okay, I haven't heard about these before, but they sound amazing. I'm going to have to go read some of them right now! Thanks for the recommendation. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blog! :)

    Would you mind checking out my book reviews blog at https://elsbookreviews.blogspot.ca/ and possibly give it a follow? Super excited to read your posts!

    - El

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually love those Background Slytherin (and Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw) comics but I had never read them in order! I just did and I was laughing out loud :) I had a few on my Pinterest but now I want them ALL :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got to revisit them! When I read back over them they get funnier every time :D

      Delete