Thursday, October 9, 2014

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Obsidian (Lux #1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publish Date: May 2012
Rating: 3 Stars

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.
-Summary from Goodreads


            First reaction after I finished this book: “YAY! I finally read it!” I have been trying to get around to this book for a long time (especially since I picked up the second one at a booksale last year) and I’m happy to say that I enjoyed it. It wasn’t a 5 star book and I didn’t love it but it was a fun read and I will most definitely continue the series.

            I thought that Katy was a great heroine who didn’t let a smokin’ hot guy cloud her judgment TOO much and stuck with her friend even when other people were trying to drive her away. I love her friendship with Dee and I love how she refuses to run away when Dee’s brother (Daemon) and friends don’t approve of her. Friendship and loyalty are two things that I really love to read about and I was just as happy for Dee as I was for Katy that they hit it off and became so close.

When Katy first meets Daemon she is understandably stunned by his divine hotness, what girl wouldn’t be, but then he started speaking and you start to wish she didn’t have so much restraint and would haul off and slug him. Sadly that doesn’t happen (although she does do something later that is just awesome) but she refuses to let him treat her badly without returning some of it. I can’t count how many times she gives him the finger but that seemed to end a lot of their conversations.

On one hand I love this type of couple with all the bickering and fighting, but I did have some mixed feelings about Daemon at the beginning. He was all hot and cold, would say “stay away” and then later ask her to take a walk with him. I mean, yes he had his reasons for wanting to keep his distance and sometimes you can’t fight attraction, but it really annoyed me at times. Thankfully though, that wasn’t the whole book and about halfway through he stopped bugging me as much, mostly because of how Katy handled it. They did have some sweet moments together and the bickering was still fun.

Besides Daemon’s hot and cold routine, the only thing that kind of brought me out of the story was the realness. Now stick with me, I don’t mean the believability of the story, that was fine but it’s kind of a… I won’t say pet peeve but I’m not really a fan of reading stories where the main character does stuff like write a blog and types of a “Waiting on Wednesday” post or spends a lot of time of the internet or gets excited about books in the mail that has no importance to the story. I know it’s supposed to make her more relatable but for me it pulls me out of the story.

I don’t read many alien books but I though the world that Armentrout created was very well done and the backstory she gave them was interesting. The “bad aliens” were cool and quite a formidable villain. The action/fight scenes were intense and totally kept my attention. I see a lot of potential for the rest of the series and can’t wait to see what’s going to happen next.

So, while I only gave this book three stars I definitely enjoyed it and can’t wait to read more about Katy’s adventure in small town West Virginia.

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment