Friday, February 20, 2015

The DUFF (Movie Review)

Sarah and I were so excited to go to a preview showing of The DUFF at our local theater. We had our doubts but it was a really fun movie. Neither of us have read the book, but from what I’ve heard the movie just uses the characters and concept of the DUFF.

Sometimes when I go to a movie that is supposed to be a comedy I don’t end up laughing at all, or if I do it is in horror not humor. I was worried that The DUFF was going to be one of those types of movies, but I was wrong. We started laughing right from the beginning with the snarky voice-over infodumping. Yes, this movie has plenty of stereotypical highschool characters (dumb jock, mean girl, nice girl, invisible girl…) but I don’t care, I was homeschooled! I don’t have anything to compare it to! The movie actually reminded me a lot of the Vampire Academy movie (in case you are confused, I mean that in a good way). It is silly, funny, sometimes over the top, occasionally crude, and, in general, an enjoyable movie.

Bianca felt very realistic. While she does fit the stereotype of invisible girl, her personality doesn’t fit into a specific type. She’s funny, smart, and can be kind. She’s not painfully shy but she’s not very outgoing either. She just felt real. That being said, there was a video in the movie that I thought went overboard. The first time they showed it was somewhat funny, but the more they showed it the worse it got and I don’t think anyone could get away with that behavior in a public place. That was one of the worst parts of the movie for me. I had a lot of fun watching The DUFF with my sister, but I would have felt differently watching this with my parents.

I went to this movie looking for a fun distraction and that’s what I got. I had a few issues with it but the good outweighed the bad and I’m so glad that we got to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment