Monday, February 16, 2015

Top 10 Book Problems We Have

 Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Sarah's Answers = GREEN
Christina's Answers = PURPLE

Checking out a stack of books from the library when we don't have the time to read even one of them.
I am very bad at this one. I can't go into a library without pulling a few books off of the shelf for check-out. I know I have other books to read, I know I'll never get to them... but the possibility that I MIGHT be able to read them keeps me checking them out.

I'm not as bad as Sarah, but it still happens. I can resist everything but temptation. It's sad, but I don't even look that much anymore. All of the books I really want to read I have on hold, and half the time I can't even read those. Darn school!
 
Buying multiple copies of the same book.
If I had to buy books at full price I probably wouldn't do this but since books at the library sale are so cheap I can't help myself. I have at least 5 copies of Pride and Prejudice and at one time I had about 6 of A Christmas Carol. And every time I see another one I get tempted and have to walk away quickly.


For my first copy I buy I'm not picky, as long as it's cheap and it's pages aren't completely falling out, I'll buy it. Next time around I'll be looking for a better copy, after that I'll be looking for a hardback. Sometimes if it has a different cover that's pretty tempting as well.
 
Never having enough bookshelf space.
I don't think I need to explain this one much. I have three bookshelves in my room, books on my desk, books on my dresser, and books on my bed bookshelf. I need more space!

This is my main issue right now. A lot of my books are stacked on their sides in front of the books in my bookshelf. It all looks very messy.

Wanting to read a specific book but by the time it comes in at the library I'm just not in the mood.
This is my excuse for buying books I haven't read before (one's for cheap of course). If it's on my shelf than I can read it when I'm in the mood, if not it can take me years to read a book no matter how intrigued I am.

Usually it's school work that gets in the way of this. It's not so much that I'm not in the mood anymore, my problem lies in having to return it before I ever get a chance to read it and then I just forget about it.

Having an emotional breakdown because of a book.
I may cry over books but it's not often that I have a full on "breakdown" over one. I can still name the books that caused such events: The Clockwork Prince, Inkspell, Drums of Change.

There are two specific books that I'm thinking of: Sisterhood Everlasting and Allegiant. When I say emotional breakdown, I mean emotional breakdown. I was in such a state I literally couldn't stop sobbing. I just curled up in a ball and cried. Sarah will tell you that this is true because she was right there patting me on the back and laughing at me.

Feeling emotionally distraught if one of our books gets dirty/damaged/desecrated.
Like when my less-than-six-month-old, store-bought Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows book got some water damage. I rarely buy brand new books, back then less so, so I was very distraught.

I try not to connect my happiness in life to the condition of my books, but I can't help that feeling of despair whenever I see that there's a mark on one of my beautiful new books.

Not being able to push the book to the back of my mind when I see the movie adaptation.
I rarely can enjoy the movie as much as I want to the first time because my brain is constantly comparing it to the book! The only movie that I really didn't do this to was Catching Fire because it was just so freakin' AWESOME!!!

Whenever I watch the Harry Potter movies with my dad I can't help telling him all the extra tidbits from the books. I sound like a HP dictionary. The sad thing is that I actually hold back a lot of info. Don't get me wrong, I love the HP movies, I just always have the books in the back of my mind.

Not being able to pronounce book names in the real world.
There are still names that I don't even try to pronounce out loud because I know I'd slaughter them.

There are names that I don't realize that I don't know how to pronounce until I'm talking about it with Sarah and I trip over the name.

Abandoning Series
Even if I might have liked the book, sometimes I find myself pushing off the second (or third) book so long that I can't even remember what happened in the first one and therefore can't continue the series anyway. It's quite a problem.

This only happens with books that I don't have strong feelings for. If I respected the first book and mostly enjoyed it but have to wait for the next books in the series, then most likely I won't continue it.

Reading Slumps
There's just nothing to be done with a reading slump. No matter how good a book sounds or how much I want to read something I just can't do it if I'm in a slump. Either that or it takes me weeks to finish a book which is just pitiful when it's under 400 pages.

I hate reading slumps. When I'm in the middle of a reading slump I feel like life is annoying and mean and there must be something wrong with me and WHY CAN'T I JUST LOVE A BOOK?!

7 comments:

  1. Yes yes and yes to emotional breakdowns while reading. Last week I was just rereading a Sarah Dessen book and I straight up started crying on the subway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My biggest emotional breakdown might've been when I was rereading Leon Uris's Exodus when I was about 24. The first time I read it, at 18, I hadn't cried at all, but on the reread, it was one sucker punch to the gut after another. Even days later, I'd break down just thinking about some of these events.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to so many of these problems on your list. I've totally had emotional breakdowns due to books! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, every once in awhile, I'll have a reading slump too. It usually doesn't happen very often for me though.

    Here's a link to my TTT for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/02/top-ten-tuesday-ten-book-related.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I'm always running out of room for all of my books as well and then I don't know what to do. I really hate reading slumps as well. Thanks for sharing!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Basically THIS. All of this list!! I can absolutely relate to all of these bookish problems X) I think out of all of them the not being able to stop comparing movies to the books one is the most pressing with me, but I also get upset when my books get damaged. Just another reason to buy another copy of that book! X)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What do you know, it just so happens that I suffer from all of the same bookish problems! When you think about it, it's actually really cool how all the problems book nerds have is relatable to pretty much every other book nerd lol.

    ReplyDelete